Sunday, September 05, 2004

I recently finished reading Laurell K Hamilton's Guilty Pleasures. Although the writing style was not anything spectacular, there was a nice blend of humor and horror. The concept was interesting, and the story was fast-paced and entertaining, which was all I was really looking for. I have to say that I think I like my vampires a little more evil. It's been a long time since I have found a scary vampire story. I have this problem with this type of novel, and with movies too...not enough people die. I know that sounds bad, but really, it's just that I expect horror in my horror novels. People have to get killed, and they can't just be side characters that you don't care about. Otherwise, your typical bad guy isn't much of a threat. I'm not sure how I feel about the main character. She is annoying at times, but then...I think Buffy is annoying, too, and I still love the show. I want to root for her; it's nice to see strong female characters. The hardcover edition of the book, which a friend lent to me, has two more novels in it, so I guess I will read those next, and see if the character grows on me at all. Anyway, this made for a nice little break from my ongoing reading of Dickens' The Old Curiosity Shop.

No comments: