Thursday, April 14, 2005

I have actually done some stuff in the last month that's worth reporting on, so here I am. I got to visit my family in PA for Easter, which was wonderful, since I haven't seen them in over a year. It was a pretty quiet weekend, and there was time to chat and catch up with my sister and nephews, and have good food, and hide Easter eggs for the nephews to find. I hate that I am so far away, and that I can't be of more use to them, but I am hopeful that I will be able to take a trip down there again this summer. My nephews are growing up so fast, and it makes me sad that I don't get to see more of their childhood, while it lasts. L will be 14 this year. It's amazing to think that he's already a teenager. Crazy, really. I'd feel so old, if they didn't still think I was kind of cool.

I finished a couple of knitting projects: a black hat with kitty ears, a pair of white, sparkly, elbow-length, fingerless mittens (which have a cable pattern running down the length of them - my first attempt at cabling), and a scarf. I am currently working on a pair of socks, using some stripey yarn which is really colorful and fun. I've also been attempting another hat, but I haven't been able to get the gauge right, so it hasn't actually been started yet, but there's a possibility that I might finish it in time to give to its intended recipient just as the weather gets cold enough again to wear it.

I cut my hair, just above the shoulders. It hasn't been this short in about 7 years, so hardly any of the people I know have seen me with it like this. It's kind of fun, but it requires a lot more work than when it is long, just to keep it tamed a little. But it feels cute. I'm thinking about adding some highlights in a funky color - red or maybe purple - just for something extra different.

April is concert month in my world. Started out by going to see Duran Duran, which was silly and fun (and an excellent place to people watch). I was never a huge fan, but like anyone of my age, I do know a lot of their songs, and I enjoyed myself a lot more than I thought I would (although I can't even listen to them perform "Hungry Like the Wolf" without thinking of E, who once played it for me on his accordion). The following weekend, I went to see Tori Amos. My friend won us an upgrade to the front row, so that was pretty cool. The show was good; I have a lot of emotion invested in Tori shows, and this was no different. And this weekend brings Flogging Molly, where hopefully, we will not end up getting our asses kicked. Never been to one of their shows, so I'm not sure what to expect, but it should be fun.

In other news, my roommate and I put in a new floor in our living room, finally giving the nasty old carpeting the decent burial it deserved...well the decent carting-out-to-the-dumpster that it deserved, anyway. 

 Finally, I have been re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy recently, and enjoying it as much as always. I am also reading Steve Martin's Shopgirl, which I have been meaning to get for a while, and finally bought at the used book store a couple of weeks ago. It strikes me very much as the sort of book that I would write. Although I am not as amused by it as I was by The Pleasure of My Company, it is still a good read...and nice and short, which is about all my brain can handle lately.

No comments: