Sunday, April 17, 2005

Yesterday was a very good day. The first one of those that I've had in a while. We left for the beach in the early afternoon, since we didn't have anything better to do. Although it was chilly and windy, there were other stupid people out flying kites, playing in the sand, and walking around in their bare feet. I was tempted to buy a cheap kite at the convenience store, and try my hand at flying...but monetary concerns being what they are, I just took the opportunity to enjoy the view. There's something about being at the beach when there aren't many people around that is very calming. Sitting in the sun, with the wind whipping my hair around my face, smelling the sea...it's like my whole body relaxed in a way that it hasn't done in months. I felt refreshed and invigorated...though maybe that was just the cold. Anyway, I took a couple of pictures.








 After we had pretty much exhausted the possibilities which the beach had to offer, we wandered around a little in search of a place to eat. Mostly everything was closed, and it was actually a little creepy. Kind of makes me wonder what it's like to live in a place like that, if you just get used to how desolate it looks in the off season. We found an open restaurant and had some dinner. Although the food was okay, the service was kind of crappy, and I think our waitress was a bit of a flake. Oh well...at that point, I was just glad to be sitting someplace warm. Finally, we went to see Flogging Molly. The two opening bands were okay. There was a bit during the opening set when the band played "Stand By Me" and people were moshing; that was quite amusing. Also there were people in mohawks running around in circles like fools, and body surfing. I haven't been to a concert where there was body surfing in years. We stayed in the back of the room, so as not to get our asses kicked by stray fists or feet. Flogging Molly was fantastic, and I found it amusing that almost all of the songs they played were ones that I had selected more or less at random to put on the CD that I was listening to in my car all last week. No "Devil's Dancefloor" but it was a good set, and there was a lot of dancing. Part of me sort of wanted to be down there in the thick of it, flailing my heart. But it's probably best that I stayed out of harm's way...since if there is any possibility that I will get hurt, I most certainly will. Anyway, I also splurged and bought a t-shirt and a hoodie, which is going to quickly become my most favorite article of clothing. I had an awesome time, my face hurt from all the smiling, and my good mood and energy lasted about half of the way home, before it was overtaken by exhaustion. Managed to get home without driving us off the road, which was a nice way to end the day. It was a little before 2, and I crawled into bed, read for a while, and then had a good night's sleep. Also a nice way to end the day.

No comments: