Monday, October 29, 2007

On Saturday, lordavon, extrajoker and I went to the Franklin County Fibertwist.

Now you may be thinking, wait a minute, didn't you go to a fiber festival last weekend? Well, yes. I did. But this time, it didn't involve a bus ride from hell. :) Of course, it's a lot smaller than the NY Sheep and Wool Festival, but we still had a good time.

We hit the marketplace for a bit of shopping, and also attended a demonstration on Charkha spinning. Here's a pic of lordavon trying her hand at it:



I really liked this demonstration, put on by the people of Journey Wheel, from whom I did buy a lovely drop spindle (after watching someone use one and realizing that it suddenly made sense to me), and the wheels are so pretty, and portable. If I had the money, I would totally buy one.

When we were shopped out, we went out for some Chinese food, and then headed out in the rain to visit some farms. First we paid a visit to Northeast Alpacas, where we got to feed them. They are sooooo cute.









The owners there are totally awesome, and were offering warm cider and alpaca shaped sugar cookies. And the guy remembered lordavon and me from last year...and he is sure to remember extrajoker after this year's excursion. :)

We also visited the Winterberry Farm. It was a very interesting place, as the "farm" is located basically in the middle of the woods. The sheep are sent out to pasture elsewhere, so we didn't get to see them. But they have bunnies!



Yes, she is pulling off fur from the bunny on her lap and spinning it.

I need a bunny.

Finally, this is just a favorite pic of mine from the day:



Thanks to lordavon for remembering about this event, and inviting me to come out and play. I had an excellent time. (But I am keeping my fingers crossed that maybe next year, it won't rain).

No comments: