Thursday, September 07, 2006

Tip of the day: Did you know that it is really easy to make your own iron-on transfers for embroidery? We discovered this at work a couple of weeks ago, kind of by accident, and I just tested it again today, and am very pleased with the results. 1. Print out line art of the design you want from your computer. ETA: I have been fiddling with this a bit, and I don't know if it will work with all printers. I used the printer/copier here at work, which transferred perfectly. Will need to test this using inkjet printer at home, to see if it makes a difference. 2. Iron fabric on hottest setting (no steam) for the fabric you are using (the fabric takes the transfer better when it is hot. 3. Place your paper face down onto the fabric and iron for 10-20 seconds. Peel up slowly to check that design has transferred completely. If something is unclear, you can continue to iron it. Voila! Your item is ready to be embroidered. Maybe you, my fellow crafters, already knew this, but I figured I would share the love. I am excited about this, because I wanted to do this tote bag, but the thought of having to hand trace the design onto the bag with carbon paper was kind of daunting.

No comments: